Nutrtition audit - How does your diet rate?
Ever wondered whether you're eating an optimal mix of foods to fight degenerative diseases and premature ageing? Take our mini quiz to rate your diet.
- Do you eat breakfast?
- Do you eat at least 2 pieces of fruit every day AND include at least 1 1/2 cups of vegetables and/or salad at both your lunch and dinner meals?
- Do you enjoy a variety of fruit and vegetable types and include green (e.g. spinach, bok choy, broccoli), orange/yellow (e.g. apricots, pumpkin, corn) and red/blue (e.g. tomatoes, blueberries, beets) colours regularly?
- Do you include three or more wholegrain foods every day? (wholegrain foods include high fibre cereal, grainy/linseed bread, barley, oats, millet, quinoa, buckwheat etc.)
- Do you hold off adding butter, margarine, mayonnaise and sour cream to your food and instead prefer to use extra virgin olive oil or other unrefined oils or fats from whole foods such as fresh avocado and nut/seed pastes?
- Do you eat a handful of nuts/seeds at least four times per week?
- Do you include legumes (e.g. chickpeas, 4-bean mix, baked beans, lentils, split peas) in your diet at least twice a week?
- Do you eat fish at least twice a week?
- Do you incorporate 2-3 calcium rich foods per day? (e.g. skim/low fat milk, low fat yoghurt, calcium fortified soy milk, calcium set tofu, soy nuts)
- If you eat meat, do you trim the fat, take the skin off chicken and avoid processed meats?
- When you eat meat, is your cooked portion the size of your palm (or less)?
- Do you have more than four home cooked meals per week?
- Do you limit processed snack foods (e.g. lollies, biscuits, cakes, potato chips), desserts and take-aways collectively to less than twice a week?
- Do you drink less than 7 standard alcoholic drinks per week? (1 standard drink is 100 ml wine, 285 ml full strength beer or 30 ml nip of spirits)
- Do you drink at least 1.5 litres (6 tall glasses) of plain water per day?